Worksheet #3 – Pre-writing Questions
Before you begin writing, some decisions must be made about how the story will be presented. These questions should help in making some of those decisions. If any of the terms used are not familiar, search this site.
- What is your Story Idea? (Front Story)
- Who/how will tell your story be told? (POV and narrators)
- What is the tone? (voice)
- What is your Story Question? (plot question)
- What is the Controlling Idea? (theme)
- What is your log line? (premise)
- What is the story world? (setting)
- How will you introduce your main character? (first impression)
- What is the inciting incident? (conflict)
- Where does the story begin? (Normal world)
- How will the story be presented? (structure)
- How much (if any) research will be necessary?
Please note: All worksheets posted are my original work and intellectual property. I ask that you share the links on social media, and you are welcome to share the worksheets with your critique groups and writing friends with credit given. That being said, these worksheets—despite being posted on the Internet—may not be copied, distributed, or published as anyone’s work but mine. In short: sharing is good, plagiarism is bad.
Disclaimer #2: You may post your completed worksheet if you’d like, but please remember that, by doing so, you are sharing your ideas with all of the Internet. You’ve been warned.